Lennusadam [Seaplane Harbour]
Transportation and infrastructure/hangar
PLC Christiani & Nielse
Herluf Forchhammer (chief engineer), Sven Schults, Knud Højgaard
Concrete by reinforcement
Concrete is a relatively brittle material that is strong in compression but less so in tension.
To increase its overall strength, steel rods, wires, mesh or cables may be embedded in concrete before it sets. This reinforcement, often known as rebar, resists tensile forces. By forming a strong bond, the two materials are able to resist a variety of applied forces, effectively acting as a single structural element .
In this case, the concrete can be made by mixing the components directly on site, or it may be transported from a production plant in concrete-mixer trucks.
This method has the disadvantage of leaving the concrete exposed to the elements while it is setting. Whereas, with other methods, the environmental conditions can be controlled during setting, providing greater control over the outcome, with cast-in-place concrete a series of tests and protocols are necessary to verify its final strength.
- textured walls
- wooden formwork finish
- stamped concrete
- exposed aggregate concrete, colored concrete, etc.
Beams are the horizontal load-bearing elements of the frame. Columns are the vertical elements of the frame and act as the building’s primary load-bearing element. They transmit the beam loads down to the foundations.
The shape of the structure as a whole usually coincides with that of the building, as in the case of vaults or domes, for example.
Felix Candela and Pier Luigi Nervi both made exemplary use of this type of structure.
State of Conservation
The Estonian Maritime Museum is an institution with a long history in Tallinn. Its origins date back to 1920, when a group of sailors began to collect valuable nautical material. A century later, it is the most visited museum in the country and occupies several buildings, including the old hangar in Seaplane Harbor. This new use made it possible to recover one of the most important 20th-century buildings in the Baltic region in terms of constructive and technological relevance.
Built between 1916 and 1917, these three hangars were pioneering designs in the introduction of concrete to the region. Because of their size, typology and, above all, their age, they are of international relevance in the development of construction technologies using reinforced concrete. The design consists of three very thin shells, only 12 cm thick, with a square floor plan of 40 meters per side, supported only by the corner pillars.
Despite this enormous value, in 2009, the poor condition of the building meant that its integrity was at risk. Ultimately, a respectful renovation was carried out, which favored leaving the original structure visible as much as possible, replacing the opaque enclosures with glass walls that help vistors understand the bold functioning of its structure. The large open interior space allows for the exhibition of large-format objects such as ships, submarines or helicopters, through a spectacular exhibition design that calls to mind the seabed.
Harju (State) 10415 Talinn
Fundación DOCOMOMO Ibérico